Aug 30, 2011

Heritage Food Trail - Fried Beehoon w/Canned Stewed Pork Chops

My late maternal grandma is a Hokkien and she used to fry bee hoon with canned pork trotter. However I remembered I didn't like it very much as it tends to get quite oily. My aunt being very oil conscious has her own version of this bee hoon which has become our family and friends favourite. Instead of using canned pork trotter, she changes it to canned stewed pork chops and adds lots of cabbage. It's a simple and delightful one dish meal where I usually go for 2nd helping.

I used to fear frying bee hoon, as I tend to over fry it causing the bee hoon broken up in a mess. Now with her fool proof method, I can get the kind of al dente texture I like. Really like her method of frying the bee hoon, so simple and yet taste so good!   



I think this is a Hokkien style bee hoon so I will be submitting this to Heritage Food Trail hosted by Edith of Precious Moments. Glad I'm still in time as the closing date is 31/8/11.  
Recipe adapted from "Aunt's cooking"



Fried bee hoon with canned stewed pork chops (Serve 4)
Ingredients:
300g Rice vermicelli (beehoon - Peacock brand) - soaked in cold water for 10mins, drained
1 tin, 397g Canned stewed pork chops (Narcissus/Gulong) - remove excess fat & bones but retained the sauce, shred the pork
500g Beijing cabbage - coarsely shredded & soaked 5 mins, drained - soaking will improve crunchiness
4 cloves Garlic - chopped finely
Garnishing - Fried shallots and sliced red chilli

Seasoning: (mix well)
5 tbsp stock
2 tsp light sauce (or 1 tsp light sauce & 1 tsp fish sauce)
2 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp chicken powder

Method:
1. Use 2 tbsp oil, fry garlic till golden.
2. Add cabbage, fry till half cooked, dish out.
3. Pour shredded pork w/sauce, seasoning into the wok. Bring to boil.
4. Add beehoon & cover (approx 2-3mins), stir occasionally to mix well till liquid almost absorb.
5. Add cabbage, fry till cooked.
6. Garnish and serve.

11 comments :

Michelle said...

This dish really brings back fond childhood memories.... With health consciousness, ppl hardly use such canned stewed pork. Thanks for sharing! I shd cook it at least once for my kids to try!

Edith said...

Wendy,I love this bee hoon and once upon a time, my ex colleague always prepared this home made dish by her mom and bring it to the office to share.  Awesome!

wensdelight said...

Thanks Michelle! Yes you should at least let them try once.

wensdelight said...

Thanks Edith for coming up such a meaningful event. Yes I have fun!

Anncoo said...

I also like to fry bee hoon with canned stewed pork adding extra bean sprouts in it.

Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Oh, yummy, when i was a kid, my mother cooked very often of this meehoon. But nowadays when i want to cook for my family, seem no one fancy on it. So i can see your and enjoy the picture.

DG said...

Your bee boon looks good. I like this bee hoon too, tried this when my friend cooked for us.

Kokken69 said...

Nostalgia!! I used to eat this and loved it! 

Honey Bee Sweets said...

My mother in law & mum are still cooking this but with the traditional canned pork trotter. This is definitely a childhood favourite of mine too. 

ice said...

We used to cook this at home too! I love this beehoon. Thanks for sharing wen!

gertrude said...

I remember this fried beehoon so well.  I am Hokkien too and my mom will made this  for us. I've been looking for the can stew pork here but can't seems to find any. Maybe the next time I am back home I should smuggle a few cans back to the US :)

Post a Comment

Popular Posts