Jul 5, 2011

Rum & Sour Cream Marble Cake

A twist from Richard's Goh Lemon Sour Cream Cake.


This butter cake is very moist and full of rum fragrant!




Recipe adapted and modified from Richard Goh's baking class:
Ingredients:
250g Butter (salted & chilled)
220g Castor Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
6 nos Eggs
250g Cake Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
250g Light Sour Cream
2 tbsp Rum Liquor
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 tbsp Warm Milk




Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degree C
Grease & line two 8 x 3 loaf tin or one 9 inch round tin
1. Cream butter and castor sugar at medium speed untill fluffy, add vanilla extract.
2. Add in slightly beaten eggs (2 each time) and beat well to combine. Rum liquor may be added at this point of time. (The mixture will be watery with curbs due to more eggs)
3. At slow speed, add in sour cream, followed by sifted flour & baking powder. Fold well.
4. Mix cocoa powder with warm milk into a paste. Take 200g of the mixture and mix in the cocoa mixture. Marble the mixture.
5. Pour batter into baking tin and bake for about 50 min - 1hr.
6. Turn cake onto a wire rack to cool.

11 comments :

Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You are so kind, Thanks for sharing what you learnt from the class. I must make this one day, I know cake add sour cream must be very moist.

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I like cake with sour cream or yogurt.

May I know where did u attend Richard Goh's baking class?

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

Btw normally recipe will call for soften butter any idea why chilled butter is used here? Do u mean butter directly out from the fridge ?

NEL said...

Gorgeous marbling!

wensdelight said...

Most RG's recipes use cold butter to cream till light and creamy as according to him it gives a lighter and fluffier texture where soften butter gives a dense texture. I think so too. Happy baking!

wensdelight said...

I attended RG's class years ago in various community clubs (Cairnhill, Ang Mo Kio & Jln Besar). You may try logging in Onepa to check on his classes which he offers by stages.

Anncoo said...

Mmm...Rum and sour cream, this cake must be very delicious.  Bookmarking it :)

HoneyBeeSweets said...

Oh yum...rum! I bet my father would love this. ;)

Katherine Grebenyuk said...

I made this cake today and it was a total disaster. I'm a pretty good mother and I have enough experience to tell you that all the proportions in this recipe are wrong. The cake turned out too moist, not sweet enough and it tasted like a pudding. I'm very sorry but I can't recommend this recipe.
Katherine
A housewife and a mother with passion for cooking

wensdelight said...

Hi Katherine,

Sorry about your bad baking experience from my recipe. I remember this cake is quite moist as lots of sour cream added and I have reduced the sugar by 30g.

Bake Bliss said...

I tried this recipe today with a slight smaller portion (I have smaller oven) and it turned our superb! Thanks for sharing this recipe and I would definitely recommend it. I used 5 eggs, 210g of sour cream (1 tub), 200 of flour & butter each, 200g of sugar and the rest are the same.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts