Feb 8, 2011

Crispy Puffy Prawns

One of my reunion dinner dish that was very well received by my family members. Here's the sharing...



Recipe: Crispy Puffy Prawns
Ingredients:
24 nos medium size prawns (approx 600g)

Seasoning:
3 stalk spring onion (cut 2" L)
3 slices ginger
1 tbsp cooking wine (Huatiao)
1/4 tsp Knorr chicken powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
pepper



Batter: (Sieve all the flour & mix well with the rest)
180g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder (preferably double action)
4 tbsp potato flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil (Groundnut oil)
260ml cold water




Method:
1. Shelled prawn, leave tail intact. Clean & cut few slashes on the abdomen to break the vein so it will stay straight when fried. Dry with kitchen towel & season for 20 mins.

2. Coat prawn with batter & deep fry over medium heat for 2 mins till golden. Drain & serve.

16 comments :

ann low said...

Mmm...your crispy puff prawns look so delicious...getting hungry now :))

j3ss kitch3n said...

its prawns fiesta! haha these fried prawns looks great wen!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great but vetsin is new to me.

Edith said...

My family will love this. Let's see I can get nice prawns when I go marketing next.

Hearty Bakes said...

This is my favourite Wen! Always order this when we eat zhi-chai. btw Wen, what is vetsin? Thanks for sharing, you have just given me ideas of what to cook for dinner tonight ;)

Small Small Baker said...

My mum used to make these when I was young and I really miss it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I can try cooking it myself. :)

Wen said...

Hi Ann & Jess, thank you!

Wen said...

Hi Little corner of mine,

Happy New Year to you and your family! Vetsin is another trade name for MSG. You can omit it if you don't usually use MSG in your cooking.

Wen said...

Hi Edith,

You can try using the frozen Indonesia sea prawns from the supermarket, about S$19/kg per box. I used that and I find it taste better than those farm prawns from the market. Happy cooking!

Wen said...

Hi Jess from Hearty Bakes,

Glad that you will be trying out this recipe. Hope you will like it too. Vetsin is just another trade name for msg, a better quality msg according to my aunt. You can omit it if you want to. Happy cooking!

Wen said...

Hi SSB,

Hope you will try out this recipe and like it as much as I do.

devan said...

Hi Wen,

How to ensure this prawn dish remain crispy for a longer period?

rgds

Wen said...

Hi devan,

I'm not too sure but usually I will keep warm in my oven at 60 deg c till I need to serve.

S Yen N said...

Hi,

I tried this recipe yesterday and it was delicious.  I used frozen tiger prawns available from supermarkets.  The batter really remains crispy even after cooling.. and I used the leftover batter to fry some nian gao.. 

Thank you for the recipe!

wensdelight said...

Glad that you like it! Happy Yuan Xiao!

Susanna Chong said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Really Puffy n Crispy batter. My family love these prawn fritters very much!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts