Feb 9, 2011

CNY Bakes 2011 - Kueh Lapis

My last attempt in making Kueh lapis was quite a successful one so I decided to include it in my CNY bakes. I have received numerous request for the recipe so here's the sharing. Recipe adapted from Richard Goh baking class. I have made some minor alteration to it but if you want the original recipe may refer to FatmumBaking.




Ingredients:
(A)
500g Chilled butter (Golden churn canned butter)
200g Condensed milk
2tbsp Rum liquor
150gm Cake flour
3/4tsp Lapis spice (All spice)

20 Egg yolks (use large egg - 65-70g each)
140g Castor sugar
2tsp SP (optional - help to stabilise the egg yolk mixture and reduce the bubbles, also make the cake softer)

(B)
10 Egg whites
90g Castor sugar
1/4tsp Cream of tartar




Method:Preheat oven to 200 deg C top and bottom heat. Warm up a 9 or 10 inches square tin before greasing and lining the base with baking paper. (1/2 recipe uses 7 inches square tin)

1. Cream butter, condensed milk and rum liquor at medium speed for abt 5-10 mins until fluffy and creamy. Add in the sifted flour and spice. Mix well and set aside.

2. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and SP at max speed until thick. (Note: if using SP, only take 3-4 mins to whisk till thick but without will need about 10mins) Add this mixture into Step 1 (butter mixture) gradually till well mix.

3. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a clean mixing bowl at max speed until stiff.

4. With a handwhisk/spatular fold 1/3 of the egg whites into Step 2 mixture and continue the process of folding the rest till two mixtures are well incorporated.

5. Place the baking paper on the preheated tin. Spread a small amount of batter (100g-9"/130g-10"/70g-7", always weigh the batter to ensure even layer) on the warm tin and bake till golden at the center rack. Take about 5-7mins for the 1st layer.

6. Second layer onwards, increase the oven temp to 230-240 deg C at top heat only. Subsequent layer takes about 3-4 mins to bake.

7. Use a metal presser to lightly press each baked layer before adding new batter. Spread the batter evenly till it melted. Before going into the oven, give it a bang to let out the air bubbles. This will help to even out the layers too. Continue baking the cake by the layers until the batter uses up.

Note: For ovens that do not allow the setting of top heat only, place a baking tray of water at the bottom of the oven.




For CNY, I made 2 recipes using 10 inch square tin. From there I get 8 nos of 5inch square lapis, just enough to distribute to friends and relatives. However I prefer using 9 inch sq as it give a taller lapis, more pretty. Haha... so now I had 20 egg whites in my freezer!

43 comments :

j3ss kitch3n said...

wah!! looks so evenly baked!! Wen very pro le!

Anonymous said...

oh wow, baking kueh lapis is such a challenge! Yours looks beautiful (: It must have took a long time.

Use the egg whites to make lemon meringue tarts or macarons!

DG said...

Nicely baked and the layers is super neat :) I also did the same thing, one lapis cut into four to distribute out .... It's too sinful for own consumption LOL.

Janine said...

Ironically, I'm eating a bakery's kuih lapis as I'm typing this and even their layers are not as even as yours! Your layers look almost perfect!

Heh I guess you'll be doing a lot of angel food cakes and macarons in the weeks to come? ;p

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Wow, this look perfect and every layer look evenly! Well done. This is a type of cake that I have been thinking to make, will make this soon. Thanks for sharing.

quizzine said...

Your kueh lapis looks so neat & tidy! What are you going to do with the egg whites?

Wen said...

Hi Jess, thanks! Not so pro lah u can do it too with lots of patience.

Wen said...

Hi oysterdiaries,

Happy Rabbit Year to you! Yes it's challenging but I enjoyed the process. haha... macarons always on my to bake list but just never get into doing it.

Wen said...

Hi Doris,

Thanks! Yours was very nice and neat too!

Wen said...

Hi Janine,

Happy Chinese New Year and thanks for your compliment! Yes I'm considering to try baking macarons...

Wen said...

Hi Sonia,

Thank you and hope to see yours soon!

Wen said...

Hi quizzine,

Thanks! Hope to churn out some macarons from it.

busygran said...

Very even layers and evenly baked!

Lay said...

Yours a beauty! Also like your photography....very professional. How to store lapis? Cling wrap in tupperware at room temperature? Can reduce sweetness? Thanks

The Sweetylicious said...

is so beautiful and lovely! is soooo difficult to nice and even layers! *envy* i'll try again (: (:

Wen said...

Hi Lay,

Happy New Year to you and thanks for dropping by my blog with your lovely compliments.

Usually I like to store my lapis in a container to prevent drying up. It will last for 1 week at room temp but in fridge can keep well up to 1 month.

I had already reduced the sweetness from the original recipe. If you wish can reduce another 20g of sugar but not more than that as it may affect the cake texture. Happy baking!

Wen said...

Hi Jasmine,

Thanks! I think the trick is to weigh the batter and use a presser to even each layer. I believe you can do it too.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Wendy! Yours is possibly the most beautiful kueh lapis I have seen during this period! I am bookmarking your recipe!

Wen said...

Hi Shirley,

Wow thanks for your lovely comment! Hope to see you trying this out too!

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Your lapis turned out beautifully. I attempted my first lapis and it turned out rock hard. I have overbaked each layer. My girlfriend says that she has never heard of anyone overbaking only underbaking. So quite an achievement, haha!

Sabbymum

devan said...

Hi Wen,

Is a nice piece!

Btw, what do i substitute with if i do not want to use rum?

rgds

Wen said...

Hi Sabbymum,

Thanks for your sweet comment. Happy Chinese New Year to you!

Wen said...

Hi Devan,

Thanks! You can substitute with 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

Hi wen,
Your kuih lapis looks really awesome!Did u use SP in ur cake?

Susanna

Wen said...

Hi Susanna,

I didn't use the 2nd time when I baked this lapis. You can omit, just need to whisk the egg mixture longer.

Anonymous said...

Thks for the info, Wen!

Susanna

devan said...

Hi Wen,

I tried this and it was good! I think the plus point about yr recipe is that you are quite precise about the instruction and that really helps. I hope you could keep such momentum when sharing recipe with readers!

Thank you so much! 

wensdelight said...

Thanks devan for your wonderful compliment!

wensdelight said...

SP is cake emulsifier and stabilizer, can be omitted but have to beat the egg mixture longer. As for rum, can be replace by 2 tsp of vanilla extract.

Belle said...

Hi Wen,

I'm a beginner in baking. May I know what is SP and can I omit the Rum?

Jess said...

May I know what is SP too? Thanks. 😄

Michelle said...

I have tried your recipes today's. Is quite successful n tasted nice,I will continue to use your recipes , thank you for sharing, happy new year's to you.

Evelyn said...

Hi Wen,
I love layer cake and want to try your recipe. But i dont have the top heat oven. I saw you've mentioned on the note that we can place tray of water on the bottom rack. Is that mean I can use my bottom heat only oven? How but the temperature, is there any adjustment or same setting? Thanks

Evelyn said...

Hi Wen,
If i use only the bottom heat oven, does the temperature setting still the same or need some adjustment? I love layer cakes, i wish i could make one with my poor oven. Thanks

Anonymous said...

i'm really excited to try all yours resepi...

HT said...

I've made this recipe many times and they've come out awesome! My friend requested a coffee flavoured kueh lapis. Do you think I can substitute 1 tablespoon of rum for 1 Tbs of coffee extract? I hope this won't make any weird changes to the cake's consistency!

Unknown said...

Hi Wen, is it normal if my batter is lumpy, and not the smooth creamy type? Appreciate your advice. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi, when you stated "spread a small amount of butter" after placing the baking paper - do you spread it at the 4 sides as well or just the bottom part? Thanks, N.

Unknown said...

I hope after these few yrs u will still able to answer my question.
Tried your recipe and the cake turned out superb! The only hiccup is the cake batter tend to turn liquid towards the end, was not able to use all the batter cos it's liquid at the bottom
Manage 15 layers of 100g each in 8.5"tin
What cause the batter to turn liquid and how to prevent it?

Unknown said...

Wow! kueh lapis needs a lot of efforts and patience to bake this wonderful kueh well done!

Unknown said...

Wow! kueh lapis needs a lot of efforts and patience to bake this wonderful kueh well done!

V said...

how long can i keep this pineapple tarts?

Christine said...

Hi Wen, happen to come across your lapis recipe and look great. Could I know will the lapis turn a bit hard when remove from fridge and consume immediately? Bcos I saw using quite a lot of butter...thanks

Post a Comment

Popular Posts